Drunk Driver Nearly Causes Multiple Accidents – Ends Up Crashing
Check out this cliff-hanger video. This drunk driver nearly causes multiple accidents but ends up crashing and putting his/her own life in jeopardy. Some tense moments on this two lane highway!
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), out of every three traffic deaths involve drunk driving. Every 53 minutes on average, someone is killed in a drunk driving crash (9,878 people in total in 2011). Every 90 seconds, someone is injured because of this entirely preventable crime.
About one-third of the drunk driving problem – arrests, crashes, deaths, and injuries – comes from repeat offenders. At any given point we potentially share the roads with 2 million people with three or more drunk driving offenses.
What to do when you spot an Impaired Driver
- Stay far behind the suspected drunk driver.
- Get out of the way and expect the unexpected.
- Wear your safety belt (and make sure that any children or other passengers have their safety belts fastened as well) – It is one of your best defenses against a drunk driver.
- Stop right away and look for a phone.
- Report suspected and impaired drivers to the California Highway Patrol or local police by dialing 911. Give the location, direction of travel, and description of the car and driver’s behavior.
What NOT to do when you spot an Impaired Driver
- Do not try to pass the car!
- Do not try to stop the vehicle.
- Do not follow too closely. The car may stop abruptly.
- Do not attempt to act in the capacity of the police.
- Do not try to detain or confront the driver.
- Call the local police or 911 and let them take care of it!
Most of the time, the signs of a drunk driver aren’t as obvious as the white Ranger in this video. Stay alert on the roads out there!