Video From Cockpit of A plane Fighting the Rim Fire in Yosemite
Look at this unreal footage of the Rim Fire in Yosemite, California, taken from the cockpit of an Air National Guard plane:
Hot and dry weather conditions are well-known risk factors for forest fires. A majority of the forest fires are caused by a combination of these conditions and careless human activity.
Officials expect some regions of the country like California to be at a higher risk for forest fires than usual due to low moisture and rising temperatures.
Here are some tips to keep top of mind when choosing a site to start a fire:
- Check to see if open fires are allowed in your area.
- Choose an area with an abundance of rocks and sand and little vegetation.
- Do not start a fire underneath low hanging branches or nearby bushes.
- Have plenty of water nearby in case the fire gets out of hand.
- Keep the fire small.
- Never wander away from a fire; it should be watched and kept under control at all times.